Since this month is our Unprocessed January Challenge (sign up below right now if you haven’t yet!), I wanted to give you a recipe that has two purposes, the quinoa sweet potato bowl.
You see, when you are cutting processed foods, there are two main tactics. First, you can take the things you already eat and try to convert them to clean eating, unprocessed versions. This can be very effective sometimes, and other times the results can be… questionable. Thankfully in this recipe I’m giving you an awesome dressing that you can whip up in a minute flat, and it’s delicious on any salad out there. This way better than the bottled stuff, and so easy!
The other tactic when cutting processed foods is to replace your habitual meals with new ones. If you are going to make a new recipe something you will make over and over, it should be simple, filling, and delicious. And of course, that’s exactly what this recipe is!
Enough chit-chat, let’s get to the recipe.
- For the roasted chickpeas: 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- For the dressing: Juice of ½ of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- Sprinkle of salt
- For the quinoa sweet potato bowl: Handful of spinach
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked according to package instructions
- ½ cup sweet potato, roasted and cubed
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- 1 egg, fried or poached
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain the chickpeas and pour into a large bowl.
- Add olive oil, salt, and paprika and toss to combine.
- Spread on a baking sheet and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until crispy.
- In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk.
- Fry or poach the egg to your preferred doneness.
- Assemble the bowl by layering in the spinach, quinoa, sweet potato, avocado, and chickpeas.
- Top with the egg and drizzle the dressing.
This recipe is great because the options are endless. You can swap out the egg for grilled chicken, the spinach for kale or other greens, the chickpeas for a nut or seed, whatever you like!